AFL Victoria CEO Steven Reaper has announced Latrobe City Council will host the V/Line Cup carnival in season 2018.
Latrobe City Council Mayor Kellie O’Callaghan and V/Line CEO James Pinder joined Mr Reaper at Traralgon Recreation Reserve today to welcome the return of the V/Line Cup carnival, which will see the area host the state’s premier junior regional carnival for the fourth consecutive year.
The announcement comes following the Victorian Government’s commitment to inject $85 million towards a sporting infrastructure funding package in the Latrobe Valley Region earlier this year.
The funding package will see upgrades to a number of local sporting venues in the area, including Moe’s Ted Summerton Reserve ($3million) and Morwell Recreation Reserve ($4milllion).
Mr Reaper said the decision to keep the V/Line Cup in the Latrobe Valley area for 2018 would further assist the economic activity in the region.
“AFL Victoria, together with long-time carnival naming rights partner V/Line, hope to build on the $4.9 million economic impact the V/Line Cup event has delivered for the Latrobe community in the past two years,” Mr Reaper said.
“The V/Line Cup carnival is unique in the way that it focusses on the development of players rather than the result on the scoreboard, so it’s important to be able to provide all participants with the opportunity to play on great sporting facilities which will allow them to get the best out of themselves.”
In 2017, the V/Line Cup saw more than 550 of the most talented regional footballers and umpires flock to Latrobe City Council to showcase their skills against the top performers in their age group.
Eight Victorian football regions have representative squads participating in the V/Line Cup this season, with eight girl’s teams and 14 boy’s teams lacing up the boots to compete in the four-day development carnival this week.
The 2017 V/Line Cup commenced on Monday September 25 and will conclude on Thursday September 28.
- For more information on the V/Line Cup, CLICK HERE…