Umpiring leaders attend 2024 Umpire Coaching Conference
The 2024 AFL Victoria Umpire Coaching Conference was held at Victoria Park on Sunday, with representatives from across the state coming together for a day of learning and development.
With 140 people in attendance representing almost every community umpiring group in Victoria, it marked AFL Victoria’s largest umpiring conference to date. The day featured discussions and workshops run by current AFL umpires, umpire coaches, and industry experts, giving those present the chance to engage with and learn from some of the best in the country.
Activities run as part of the conference included:
• Coaching philosophy workshops
• Group culture discussions, facilitated by AFL umpire Matt Stevic and former AFL umpire Shaun Ryan
• Discipline-specific workshops, facilitated by current AFL Umpire Coaches Michael Jennings, Darren Wilson, and David Dixon
• Introduction to a new visual resourcing hub for umpires through online coaching platform Hudl
• Inclusive clubs discussion, facilitated by AFL National Women and Girls Action Plan Lead Debbie Lee
• Outdoor skills session, facilitated by AFL & state league umpire coaches
• National Umpire Education presentation, facilitated by AFL National Umpire Recruitment, Development & Retention Lead Luke Brennan
More umpires are always needed as the game continues to grow, and with so many opportunities, supports and pathways available, there has never been a better time to pick up the whistle.
To find out more about umpiring or to get involved, visit https://play.afl/umpire