AFL Victoria has today released the fixture for the 2019 Swisse Wellness VFL Women’s season.
Next year’s VFL W competition will again see 13 teams competing over 16 rounds followed by a four-week finals series, with two byes for each club throughout the home-and-away season.
In exciting developments for the competition next season, there will be an expanded finals series with a top six and the Grand Final will be broadcast on Channel 7 before the VFL men’s season decider, providing a great celebration of state-league football.
“In our latest VFL broadcast agreement with Channel 7, a key aim was to provide TV coverage for our VFL Women’s competition on Grand Final day,” AFL Victoria CEO Steven Reaper said.
“With 39 players from our VFLW competition drafted to AFL Women’s in October, a broadcast of our season finale will provide great exposure for our players and clubs, and ensure a great celebration of state-league football.”
An addition to the fixture in 2019 will be the GWS Giants playing five invitational games against Richmond, Williamstown, Melbourne Uni, Collingwood and Essendon, when they are fixtured to have a bye.
“As part of our commitment to grow women’s football, AFL Victoria along with the AFL have endorsed a plan for the GWS Giants women’s team to play five “invitational” games against Swisse Wellness VFL Women’s teams that have a fixtured bye during the season,” Reaper said.
“We see this opportunity not only to help the GWS Giants women’s team but to also provide an extra game for some of our teams.”
CLICK HERE for the full fixture
The fixture for the fourth VFLW season features:
- A standalone match between the Southern Saints and Collingwood at the newly revamped RSEA Park in Moorabbin on Sunday May 5, before the remaining five Round 1 games are played the following weekend;
- 39 VFLW games that form part of double-headers with VFL fixtures;
- Games being played at several new and unique venues, including: Arden Street in North Melbourne, Central Reserve in Colac, La Trobe University in Bundoora, MARS Stadium in Ballarat, Morwell Recreation Reserve, Queen Elizabeth Oval in Bendigo, Queens Park in Geelong and RSEA Park in Moorabbin;
- 2018 VFLW premier Hawthorn facing off with Grand Final opponents the Geelong Cats in Round 9 at Box Hill City Oval, while other finals rematches take place in Round 2 (Collingwood vs Hawthorn), Round 3 (Geelong Cats vs Collingwood) and Round 13 (Geelong Cats vs NT Thunder);
- The Southern Saints, Richmond, Essendon, Carlton (all Darwin) and the Casey Demons (Alice Springs) travelling to the Northern Territory to take on the NT Thunder; and
- The season will again feature four CSR Strategy themed rounds, supporting beyondblue (Round 1), Fight MND (SockIt2MND Round 6), Victorian Responsible Gambling Foundation (Love the Game Round 8) and TAC (Towards Zero Round 13).