The AFL’s National Umpiring Accreditation Scheme is a training package for Australian Football umpires consisting of two tiers for field, boundary and goal umpires.
The courses are designed to introduce umpires to a range of modules and units to assist in the gaining of the knowledge and skills required to perform the tasks associated with umpiring Australian community football. Under the National Umpiring Accreditation Scheme umpires are provided with the opportunity to acquire knowledge related to each discipline of umpiring. Umpire coaches will conduct coaching sessions that are interactive and practical with a clear focus on an individualised approach to the development of umpiring skills in the three disciplines of field, boundary and goal umpiring. Click to access the AFL Umpiring Accreditation Policy
- Summary of 2017 NUAS requirements
- 2017 – Level 1 Umpire Accreditation course overview
- 2017 NUAS Registration Forms – AFL Victoria
To gain immediate access to the AFL Level 1 Online Umpire Accreditation Course, simply click http://www.afl.com.au/umpires/courses
- To download the instructions of how to generate a Footyweb Accreditation Report for your umpiring group, please click How to run an Accreditation Report – November, 2016
- To download the instructions of how to generate instructions to enter NUAS data on Footyweb for your umpiring group, please CLICK 2017 NUAS Data entry procedure – AFL Victoria
Throughout 2016, an extensive review of the AFL NUAS Program was completed and one of the many key suggestions was to re-write and to simplify the lists of competencies umpires nominated for either Level 1 or 2 Umpire Accreditation needed to display in match conditions.
As such, please see below the 2017 competency lists that coaches of community umpires are asked to use.
Level 1 Umpire Accreditation
- 2017 – Level 1 Boundary Umpire Accreditation – competencies
- 2017 – Level 1 Field Umpire Accreditation – competencies
- 2017 – Level 1 Goal Umpire Accreditation – competencies
Level 2 Umpire Accreditation
- 2017 – Level 2 Boundary Umpire Accreditation – competencies
- 2017 – Level 2 Field Umpire Accreditation – competencies
- 2017 – Level 2 Goal Umpire Accreditation – competencies
One of the most important components of the previous Level 1 program was the maintenance of an Umpiring Diary which was provided as part of the course.
This resource can still be used by local coaches encouraging umpires in various forms of reflective learning activities.
- To access an abridged version of the AFL Umpires’ Diary used previously in the Level 1 Umpire Accreditation Course please CLICK HERE
Assessment of the umpire’s learning and development will be undertaken by a variety of methods, mainly observations and demonstrations. The majority of the assessment will be done under match conditions, with some during coaching sessions and on the training track. Umpires should record experiences about their umpiring in the Diary and discuss these experiences with their Coaches and Mentors as they progress through the course. In completing these Courses, umpires will not only benefit by gaining the knowledge and skills necessary to perform the role of the umpire, but also by increasing their confidence and personal development which will enable them to progress to the next stage of their umpiring. For more information please contact AFL Victoria Umpiring Development Managers by CLICKING HERE